Friday, February 27, 2009

Springing Spring



On the way home from a fore' to find some fresh fruit this morning, I noticed that there was something different about the world in the last two days. It took me a few minutes to figure out what it was; buds. All along the highway in Hartselle we have Bartlet Pear trees planted and each one is covered in tiny white buds that will erupt into a full snowy blossom in April. Smaller trees all have the little citron green dots on the branches that show where leaves will break free. Any area lucky enough to have daffodils is covered in beautiful flowers. It is a great feeling to know that spring is just around the corner, but I know it isn't that close! LOL! The bigger trees seem to be shaking their heads at the smaller ones and whispering "Too soon." As much as I was enjoying my coat being a little too warm today, I know that this weekend has a freeze in store and that the little buds and flowers will all drop off and try again in a few weeks. I am feeling a tug to green things though. I've been looking into terrariums and seeds for this spring. Dad and I have plans for a big garden at their house - corn, tomatoes, green beans and zucchini. Today I even bought the material to make a vintage floral quilt for my bed. Soon enough the flowers will be real and I will be complaining it's too hot again, but for now it is nice to enjoy the early signs of spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment