Friday, May 15, 2009

Latkes



Latkes are a new favorite at our house. Think heartier hash browns with a light herb flavor. Yum. I know you want to try them too and since I have the book checked out, here is the recipe:


3 large potatoes (about one pound)
2 eggs
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 Tbs finely chopped parsley
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
3 Tbs flour
oil

Peel potatoes and rinse in cold water. Grate very fine. Place in colander and run cold water over them to keep from turning dark. Using your hands squeeze out all the water.

In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Add the onion, parsley, salt pepper, and flour. Stir Add grated potatoes and mix well.

Heat a small amount of oil to sizzling in a large frying pan. Drop pancake mixture by the soupspoonful in to the oil and flatten slightly. Cook until golden brown underneath, turn and cook on the other side till golden brown.

Eat while still tender but crisp! Latkes are traditionally served with applesauce or sour cream.



The boys and I have REALLY enjoyed our study on food and nutrition. It's really fun to try new things and it gives me something new to do in the kitchen. Has it been messier than usual? Yes. Did it sometimes take longer than I would have liked? Yes. Was it worth it? Definitely! I think we have several new things to add to our "regulars" list.

My favorite part of the week? Grocery shopping. No I haven't lost my mind! While we were at Publix looking for all our sushi ingredients, the two Asians that make their sushi were working at rolling up the Makizushi (rolled sushi) where anyone could watch. Griffin was absolutely delighted! He ran up to the counter yelling, "Yeah! Suuuushi!!!" The two of them started clapping and jumping up and down with him yelling "Suuuuushi!!" too. LOL! I guess they don't have many five year old fans! Priceless!

2 comments:

  1. We were in Publix today. Just a quick in and out and I saw the sushi and thought of y'all. :)

    Do you ever go to http://www.homeschoolshare.com ?

    Some of your posts remind me of the things they do. They are lapbooks but a lot of them are tied into food. They use 1 book and then expand on it.

    See you soon. Are you guys going to the picnic? That is assuming we don't need an ARK!

    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hubby would love these! I must give them a try soon. :)

    ReplyDelete