Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Healthier Fried Potatoes (and a survey)

While we were chatting at Esther's the other day, the subject of fries came up. (Hey, we are a bunch of women sitting around snacking the day away... Food is a big topic!) I explained my home fried potatoes and Karen said I should really post that so she could find it again. LOL! Okay Karen, here it is:

Ingredients
4-6 potatoes
1 onion, size depends on how much you like fried onions
3 Tbs of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (As always, I love Carapelli)

Start heating the EVOO in a large, deep skillet on medium heat. Slice the onion and toss the rings into the pan. Slice the potatoes into 1/4 inch slices and start tossing them in there as you go. By the time you are finished the onions will need to be stirred, so, using a spatula, flip it all over. There is no real art to this. We are just trying to keep it from overcooking in spots and trying not to toss them all out of the pan while we flip. ;o) Cover them up and let them continue to cook themselves for about 15 - 20 minutes, checking and flipping them every 5 minutes or so. If you are getting some burning on the bottom, just turn it down a bit and flip a little more often. You will know that they are ready when you can easily cut through a potato slice with the spatula. Serve hot with salt and enjoy!

And now for something completely different; a survey I swiped from Gina, who swiped it from Laura. Ha! I'm like the Hamburgler...

1 How old is your child/children? 11 and 8 and 5
2 Girl(s) or Boy(s)? BOYS
3 Bottle fed or breast fed? Breast mostly
4 Are there more children in your future? Not the old fashioned way...
5 Do you stay at home with your kid(s)? No, we mostly run around.
6 Bedtime (kids not you!): 8:30 for G. A and C are allowed to stay up until 9:30 or so reading.
7 Where do your kids go to school/daycare? Home
8 Would you ever homeschool? I have for the last 5 years. I love it 95% of the time! The other 5% I'm pretty sure I'd be getting called into school for anyway...
9 Do you like their school/daycare? Well, the world is a pretty awesome place. (I loved this one Gina, so I stole it too!)
10 Is college important…will you insist that your child go? Not if what they want to do doesn't require it. We graduate too many people from college who have NO idea what they WANT to do.
11 Favorite time of the day: Early morning, when they are just waking up and want some Mommy cuddles.
12 Favorite food: A - "Depends on what meal... bacon, ramen noodles, and lasagna", C - "Mac and Cheese, Shrimp", G "Me too! Mac and cheese and shrimp!" But not together! Bleh.
13 Kid’s favorite happy meal: Austin likes the bacon cheese burger meal or Big Mac (hasn't eaten a kids meal in YEARS), Carson is Chicken fingers with sweet and sour sauce, fries with ranch dip and Chocolate milk (why that child is 50 lbs is beyond me), Griffin is my wild card. His usual is Cheeseburger plain with apple dippers and chocolate milk, but you NEVER know...
14 Do you eat organic? We usually eat organic, local meat and I have a list of the veggies that it is WORTH buying organic.
15 Does your child have a security item? They are blankie boys.
16 Thumb sucker or Pacie Baby? Pacies.
17 Any extra curricular activities? I hate schedules. They are kids - they play and imagine. There is lots of time for schedules and such later. We have some family hobbies; hiking, tennis, swimming, church, volunteering...
18 Does your child have any nicknames? Austin-Boston or Wild Man, Cars' or C-boo, and G, G-man, GQT, Cutie-butt, Doodle bug... on and on....
19 Do your children share a room or have their own? G has his own and A and C share. Their arrangements.
20 Discipline: Time out or spank? ...Or maybe duct tape to wall? Um, just depends. My kids are not the type you can talk out of things. The force is strong in them... So I have to force them.

2 comments:

  1. You little thief...I mean Hamburgler! LOL!! I usually don't do surveys, but I thought this one was interesting since it included homeschooling, college, discipline, bedtime...
    Did I mention I love homeschooling?! 'Cause I do:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much!

    I am making these tonight!!

    YUMMY!

    K

    ReplyDelete