Sunday, August 16, 2009

Weekend Food Fun


Reading a book slowly is a new idea for me. Usually I swallow them whole, but Vie de France was just so delicious that I wanted to nibble it down. After two weeks of a little here and there I have finished it and find myself wanting to read it again and again. From this book I got one of the best recipes I have found in a long time.

Oven French Toast

Bread (about half a loaf of what you have around)
6 eggs
about 1 cup of milk (or soy milk)
1 tsp vanilla
cinnamon and nutmeg

The night before, whip the eggs, milk, vanilla (I used vanilla soymilk so I skipped this), cinnamon and nutmeg together. Tear bread into pieces. Fold into the egg mixture. Let sit in the refrigerator over night.

The next morning, preheat the oven to 400*. The eggs mixture should have been mostly absorbed by the bread. Place the bread pieces on a buttered cookie sheet. Bake for 20 minutes or until puffy and golden. Serve with fruit sauce or maple syrup.

Saturday we went to the farmer's market for some produce. Lou had never been and the boys were tired of going, so Lou came with me while the kids listened to their book on CD in the car. It was so pleasant. LOL! There were so many farmers there that there were tents set up in the parking lot. I found some real gems: a $12 basket of peaches, fresh green beans and zucchini, some organically grown heritage tomatoes in purple, red, and green and tiny tomatoes in yellow and red.


Italian Veggies

4 small Zucchini
1 small Onion
1 cup tiny Tomatoes (optional)
Olive oil
Garlic salt

Heat approx 2 Tbs of olive oil on medium. Slice zucchini and onion into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices. Once the oil is heated add the veggies. Cook until just softened and add whole tomatoes and a sprinkling of garlic salt. Cook about five minutes longer.

After a spicy Italian supper of Pasta with sausage and mushroom sauce and these veggies we needed something sweet to do with the peaches. Lou had mentioned that he really liked peach cobbler so I dug out his Mom's old recipe and tried to make it "Heather friendly"...

Peach Cobbler

One large can peaches (or 4 ripe peaches)
1 cup sugar (plus about 1/4 cup for fresh peaches)
1 cup self-rising flour
3/4 cup milk
1 stick of butter (I used Willowshed all soy margarine)

Slice and peel fresh peaches and add sugar. Melt butter in oblong dish at 350*. Mix flour, sugar and milk (I used vanilla soy); add to melted butter; add peaches with juice and bake at 350* for 35 minutes or until golden brown on top.

It took mine about 45 minutes to bake. Maybe because of the non-dairy products? I don't know. Either way Lou and I are having a hard time not eating it in one sitting. Somehow I think there will be more desserts in next week's menu...

1 comment:

  1. I left a comment yesterday but I don't see it. Did I do it wrong?

    ReplyDelete