Thursday, July 30, 2009

Breathing in Books

I have been without library books for about two weeks now. I had a little run in with the Decatur Library involving my being told that nothing was due when indeed there was - twice. After emailing the head of circulation, the thirteen dollars in fines was removed, but I was told to keep track of my own books. Uh, that would be why I asked. So... no more Decatur Library. I went today to the Hartselle one which is really coming alive since being cut off from the Wheeler system two years ago. I picked up the above books in less than ten minutes. The last two weeks have been really annoying, but since I finished rereading the last book of the Harry Potter series AGAIN two days ago, I have been ridiculously fidgety. Normally this would be when I throw myself into another home project, but the cold I'm trying not to have is making me sluggish and slightly feverish. The thought has crossed my mind, "Am I addicted to reading?" Here are the signs of addiction:

* Tolerance - the need to engage in the addictive behavior more and more to get the desired effect

* Withdrawal happens when the person does not take the substance or engage in the activity, and they experience unpleasant symptoms, which are often the opposite of the effects of the addictive behavior

* Difficulty cutting down or controlling the addictive behavior

* Social, occupational or recreational activities becoming more focused around the addiction, and important social and occupational roles being jeopardized

* The person becoming preoccupied with the addiction, spending a lot of time on planning, engaging in, and recovering from the addictive behavior


There is no doubt now; I am a book addict. Could be worse. Please excuse me while I go get my fix...

1 comment: