Monday, May 31, 2010

My Insiration Kitchen

Inspiration: An agency, such as a person or work of art, that moves the intellect or emotions or prompts action or invention.

When I started my kitchen make over I knew three things. The first was that I could not afford a major remodel. The second was that I had to be able to do the work myself. The third was that THIS was the kitchen I dreamed of. When I found this picture in the pages of June 2008 Country Living Magazine, I fell in love. From the warm color on the walls to the cool stainless steal appliances. From the chunky farmhouse flooring to the dainty white dishes. This was MY kitchen. The question was how to pull it off with almost no money.

Step One: Paint

The fastest and easiest (as well as cheapest) way to make a change to any space is paint. I was a woman on a mission. Paint can be a bit tricky. The biggest mistake most people make is going to the store, finding a color they like and buying it on the spot. DO NOT BUY IT YET!! While you are still in the store, pick out TONS of colors close to the one you like. Lighting in your room will change the way the paint looks in your space. Once you have the paint chips home, tape them to the wall. Pull down the ones you hate right away and leave up the ones that might work. Over the next few days, look at the chips in all kinds of light. One color will eventually win out over the others. The color of my dream kitchen was a Valspar color - Gold 3 - with bright white accents.


Step Two: Flooring and Counter Tops

Since the first thing I knew about this makeover was that I did not have much money to spend, marble counter tops and reclaimed wood floors went out the window. Luckily (haha) for me my kitchen came with some 80's faux wood counter tops. Unfortunately the floor were a vinyl tile that does not match my dream kitchen at all. The floor didn't clash and were in good shape so they stayed. One can only do so much at a time!

Step Three: Backsplash

After seven years of a fruited tile scheme I knew I wanted something nice and neutral. There is not even a peek at the backsplash in my inspiration picture, but my guess would be white subway tiles. What I finally decided on was bead-board wall paper. And I LOVE it!



Step Four: Details

One of the things I love about the featured kitchen is the white country detailing. So I added this wood medallion to the soffet which I finished off later with crown mouldings.



I also paired down the number of appliances on my counter tops to keep the room looking fresh and clean. My kitchen isn't the one in the picture, but I still love it - all because of a little inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment