Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Mac and NOT Cheese

Coming up with ideas for lunch is rough. I used to complain bitterly that the school fed Austin crap (hot dogs, chicken fingers and pizza) ALL the time, but now I find myself in ruts that are just as bad! (Ramen, sandwiches and mac and cheese anyone?) One problem is that I HATE having to cook two meals and with my food sensitivities, it can get crazy. So today I came up with my own recipe using three pans, but just ONE meal at a time!

Mac and NOT Cheese

1 box of pasta (I used Cars pasta since I wasn't sure how this would turn out and my kids will eat anything cartoon shaped)
1/2 stick of Blue Bonnett "light" (LOL) margarine (any butter will do, but this is what makes this dish dairy free for me)
1 small onion, chopped finely
1 small potato, peeled and cubed
1/2 cup of flour
1 can of chicken broth
1 chicken breast, chopped into small pieces
salt and pepper to taste

Cook the pasta according to box directions. In small sauce pan, melt butter and add onion and potato. Cook until potatoes are softened, but not completely cooked. Add flour and mix well removing from heat. In a separate small sauce pan, bring chicken broth to a boil and add chicken pieces. Cook until done - about 3 - 4 minutes. Add the chicken broth mixture slowly to the veggie mixture to make a thick sauce. Continue to heat up the mix until it reaches desired thickness. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix sauce into cooked pasta.

It was yummy, although the boys all said they could do without the chicken next time. LOL! I think I would like to try it with chopped carrots added with the veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment